Monday, March 26, 2012

Kid’s Corner

{Week 5: Size/Sorting}

Activity: Flower Sorting by Briana

Theme: Saint Patrick’s Day          Color: Green

Please visit the link Kid’s Corner to learn how easy it is to complete our lessons with your child!

Daily Opener:  
  1. Prayer {Say a prayer with your child}
  2. Calendar {Click on the link to learn how to use the calendar}.
  3. ABC / 123 Song {Sing the ABC’s with your child & sing numbers 1-10 with your child}. 
Description:  Your child will learn to sort different kinds of flowers from a nature walk.

Materials:
·         Basket or container {for nature walk}
·         Flowers/blossoms {variety of sizes and colors}
·         Seven index cards
·         Pen

Directions:
  1. Using an index card write the word Flower.  Explain that you and your child will be going on a nature walk and need to find different sizes and colors of flowers to bring home.
    1. Using your basket, go on a nature walk and find some great flowers...have fun!
  2. When you return set the flower basket on a table.
  3. Using three separate index cards write the words: Small / Medium / Large.
  4. Take a look at the colors of flowers you found and pick three colors to write on separate index cards {This will vary depending on the colors you found.}
    1. Example:  White / Yellow / Purple
  5. Next, spread out the six cards on the table.
  6. Have your child sort the flowers out and arrange them in the correct category. 
  7. When finished, have your child talk about how they sorted the flowers.
    1. Example:  Where did you put the yellow flower?  Which flower is small?  Which flower is large? Etc. 
Learning Opportunity
  1. Your child will practice sorting different items into the correct category.
  2. Your child will learn the difference between objects that are small, medium, and large.
  3. Your child will learn how to observe the environment around them. 
Read Aloud:  
Spring Flower {By Briana} 

Today I went for a walk,
And found a pretty spring flower,
If only a flower could talk…

I bet it would tell me its color,
I bet it would sing me its name,
If only a flower could talk.

Today I put my spring flower,
In a pretty white vase,
If only a flower could talk…

I bet it would tell me it’s thirsty,
I bet it would sing me a song,
If only a flower could talk.

Today I showed my family my spring flower,
I told them all about it,

My spring flower is yellow,
It’s very thirsty and fun,
Its pretty name is paisley
And it's a beautiful spring daisy!

Daily Craft: Activity Jar {Click on the link to learn about using the activity jar}

*Stallone Tested and Approved: Stallone loved completing the lesson today.  He had a wonderful time walking outside in the beautiful spring weather.  He really enjoyed finding flowers along the way.  We found a lot of yellow, white, and purple flowers on our nature walk.  He liked figuring out how to sort the flowers when we got home.  This is a great lesson to practice size and sorting! 


 Materials
Some flowers along the nature walk


Flowers we found
Sorting by size
Sorting by color

No comments:

Post a Comment